What is an Oligopeptide?
Oligopeptides are peptides whose molecules contain a relatively small number of amino-acid residues.
- Oligo – meaning “a few”
- Peptide – meaning peptide (2 or more amino acids linked through a peptide bond)
A popular anti-aging ingredient: Palmitoyl oligopeptide is capable of promoting the proliferation of collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid. All are components that play a role in supple, healthy, and smooth skin.
This ingredient has been shown to have similar topical results to another active known as retinoid. Retinoid is capable of smoothing skin and improving wrinkles; however, it can cause redness, irritation, and even peeling for some. Palmitoyl oligopeptide does not have the same sensitivity as retinoid, making it a better choice for those with sensitive skin.
Palmitoyl oligopeptide can be used to improve facial wrinkles, elasticity, dermal density, and overall skin tone. A great anti-aging ingredient with minimal irritation.
Examples of Oligopeptides:
- Oligopeptide-N (N is for various numbers like 1, 2, 68, 78, etc.)
- Palmitoyl oligopeptide
- Matrixyl(TM) 3000 – INCI: C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Sorbitan Laurate, C18-36 Acid Glycol Ester, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-1
- Matrixyl(TM) synthe’6(TM) – INCI: Glycerin, Water, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrinm Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-38
My favorite trade names of palmitoyl oligopeptides are the two mentioned above, which are under Sederma. They have great efficacy and are great anti-aging actives!
Products Containing Oligopeptides
- The Ordinary | Matrixyl 10% + HA ($11.50 for 30 mL)
- The Ordinary | Buffet ($14.80 for 30 mL)
- Revolution Skincare | Wrinkle & Fine Line Reducing Serum – 10% Matrixyl ($12.00 for 1.05 oz)
- Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare | Firming Peptide Milk ($68.00 for 30 mL)
- NCBI – The roles of Hyaluronic Acid, collagen, and elastin in the mechanical properties of connective tissues
- NCBI – Instrumental evaluation of anti-aging effects of cosmetic formulations containing palmitoyl peptides, silybum marianum seed oil, vitamin E and other functional ingredients on aged human skin
- MDPI – Topical Peptide Treatments with Effective Anti-Aging Results
- The Derm Review: Palmitoyl Oligopeptide
- Croda – Matrixyl 3000